As a homeowner, the thought of a fire in your house is devastating–and something you want to do your best to prevent. With the Delafield Fire Department responding to over 500 fire calls every year, take the time to inspect your home and avoid adding your property to the list. Keep reading to learn some easy things you can do can to help address common fire hazards and set your mind at ease.
Cooking is something we all do in our homes, and it’s where most fires start. Whether you’re cooking in your kitchen or grilling outside, never leave food unattended. Most kitchen fires start because of leaving the kitchen, if only for a short time. Keep any and all flammables away from your stove or grill. If you’re outside, make sure your grill is a good distance away from your home. Keep it clean and free of grease.
Electrical systems, especially older ones, may be at risk for fire. Over time, wiring can become frayed and worn, causing sparks which can ignite a fire. The breakers in your electrical box can also become worn and won’t switch off if a circuit is overloaded. Keep your outlets in mind too, and replace older ones with newer AFCI and GFI units.
Consider all the appliances you have that use electricity. Are you using the correct bulb in your overhead lights? Make sure the bulb is the correct wattage for the lighting fixture. And do you use a space heater? If so, make sure you never leave it unattended. They should have 3 feet of space around them, be positioned away from any flammables like curtains, and set securely on the ground, so they don’t tip over.
Laundry Room Hazards
The dryer in your laundry room is where heat and lint are found and can start a fire. Be sure to clean your lint filter after every load and clean out your dryer vent and pipe often. 34% of dryer fires occur because the dryer vent is clogged with lint and debris.
Household Flammable Hazards
Keep an eye out for other flammable materials around your home and garage. You may be surprised at the amount of flammable liquids you find. Nail polish and rubbing alcohol are some common liquids in your bathroom. In the garage, you may have gasoline or paint thinners. Make sure all of these liquids are capped properly in the correct containers and stored safely at room temperature. If you have a spill, use rags and then dispose of them outside immediately. Never wipe up flammable liquids with towels, clothing, or anything you want to re-use.
If you like to burn candles, keep your surroundings in mind. Make sure the candle is away from any flammables like a tissue box or a bookcase. And don’t forget simple things like matches and lighters. Keep these stored securely and away from curious children.
As you can see, there are plenty of fire hazards around your home, but with some time and care, you can take care of them easily to reduce your risks. And remember to contact your insurance agent for more helpful advice and to check your coverage for related incidents.