Considering buying a security system for your home? With Halloween almost here, you’d be wise to protect your home from ghouls and goblins! Of course, more importantly, you’ll be protecting yourself and your family from would-be burglars and other intruders.
To learn more about protecting your home and family with a security system, read on.
The Benefits of a Home Security System
Although you may consider a home security system a hefty investment, it’s well worth the time and money you put into it. Why exactly should have one installed? Here are the top 3 reasons:
#1 – Your family will be safe, and you’ll have peace of mind.
Give your family the safety and security they deserve in their own home. Feel better every night when you go to sleep knowing that your loved ones are safe and sound. A security system not only deters would-be intruders, but it can also catch someone in the act should they foolishly choose to break in and possibly attempt to harm you.
#2 – You’ll be doing the most you can to protect your property and belongings.
A security system enables you to keep an eye on your home even when you’re not around. You can watch your outside property as well, including outbuildings, garages, and cars parked outside. You can also watch vacation homes or other properties if you have them — you don’t even need to physically go there to check up on them at regular intervals. With a comprehensive security system, just check in with your smartphone video feed from time to time.
#3 – You might be able to get a discount with your homeowner’s insurance provider.
While you can’t count on a discount from a homeowners insurance provider, you can certainly ask about it. Many insurance companies like the idea of their clients having a security system as it greatly reduces the risk of break-ins, vandals, and other damage and destruction.
Choosing a Security System
Finding a quality system for a home security system is no simple matter, but there are some things you can decide on beforehand that will make the shopping experience a bit easier.
- First, decide on the type of system you want. Then decide how you want to install your security system — are you handy enough to do it yourself, or would you like a professional to install it for you? Some security companies will come to your home and install their systems for you, or you can buy your own system and hire someone to do the installation.
- Do you want to have the security company centrally monitor your home on your behalf? The alternative is to have data and video or motion sensor feedback sent to your phone via an app (or sometimes, to a computer).
- Choose whether you’re interested in a hardwired system or a wireless system.
- What home automation features would you like if any? Often, you can get your security system to turn on and off things like your lights, the alarms on your alarm system, electricity, heat and air, water, and more. You can also lock doors and windows if you have the right capabilities.
- Next, figure out how you want alarms to sound at a breach in security and how the authorities should be informed (by you, by the central company, or automatically).
All of these decisions can be difficult to make, but we can help at Billy Brown Insurance. Let us help you find the right home insurance for you and your family as well. Call or stop in today.